Sunday, May 30, 2004

Go and see it

Just got back from the cinema where Jo and I watched 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.' This film contains an all star cast including Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet, Elijah Wood and Kirsten Dunst. Despite this, it turned out to be one of the most interesting and different concept film I have seen in a long time. Carey proves once and for all that he need not only be type cast for comedies and gives an outstanding performance.

The basic plot (it's very complicated) is that a new procedure has been developed which allows people to have their memory wiped of any events or people that they wish. Carey's character (Joel) and Winslet's (Clementine) both decide to wipe the memory of their failed relationship away. They both, through a very clever storyline, come to the realisation that actually they don't want this to be the case.

This film made me think about how quickly and easily we can and do dismiss negative incidents and people. I thought about what parts of my life I would like to erase and never remember. As Jo and me discussed this we came to the conclusion that we wouldn't want to remove anything because it is all of these events and people that collectively go a large way to form the people that we are.

Check this film out, but be ready to concentrate.

No comments: